Cafe Aion - Brunch 11 amCost: $6-$15
Start your day with brunch at Cafe Aion. Many of the dishes are designed for sharing. Spanish and Moroccan flavors are apparent in the menu. The fried cauliflower is surprisingly one of the stand out Tapas - fair warning, you may not want to share. In addition to coffee and juice, they also have a full bar. I am particularly fond of their Bloody Mary's, made with chili infused vodka and crispy bacon.
Fiske Planetarium - CHECK SHOWTIME AND GET TICKETS
Cost: $11 for 2 tickets with Groupon (Reg. $10 per ticket)
The Fiske Planetarium features the Ziess, one of the most advanced stargazing machines in the world. Furthermore, CU has recently invested in an all-new fully immersive theater system, making it one of the most sophisticated planetariums in the country. Since the planetarium was the inspiration for this day trip, I suggest that you select what show you would like to go to, as there is different programming throughout the day. https://fiske.colorado.edu/beta/events
Use the below suggestions to fill the time in before or after the planetarium show.
Shopping on the Hill
Cost: Varies $-$$$
- Frisk Jewelry - They have been in business for over 10 years and features vintage and unique jewelry finds - http://www.girlsforfrisk.com/
- Meininger's - Go get your craft on! Actually if you time your trip right, you can take a free art class with part of the Demo and Dialogue series that is hosted at Meininger's in conjunction with the Art Student's League. As a bonus feature, a coupon is usually given to those who participate in the class- http://www.meininger.com/demo-dialogue/
- Albums on the Hill - One of the last true record stores. They don't seem to have a website; just a Facebook page...go figure. Oh well, keep an eye out for upcoming in-store-performances. - https://www.facebook.com/Albums-on-the-Hill-135666886484838/
Colorado University: Natural History or Theater
Cost: Free - $$ (admission to some theater events)
Since you are pretty much on CU's stomping grounds, you might as well check out some of the culture on campus. Two points of interest are the Natural History Museum and the University Theater.
- CU Museum of Natural History - Free/ Suggested donation of $3 - https://cumuseum.colorado.edu/
- CU Theater and Dance (usually there is a 2pm show on Saturdays and Sundays as well as evening shows, but check calendar for current shows) http://www.colorado.edu/theatredance/events
Restaurant Deals - Up to 40% Off
Here are just a few food options that are reasonably priced and in the area. A couple of the recommendations are neighborhood favorites and the other three have good Yelp reviews and Groupons!
- Terra Thai - No coupon on this one, but with most of the menu ranging from $3-$8, why would you need one? Great food here, however, they are not open on Saturdays
- The Sink - What does Barack Obama and Anthony Bourdain have in common? They both ate at this burger joint when they were in town.... not together, of course ;)
- Tibet Kitchen - $12 for $20 worth of food for two or more people with Groupon
- Mimi's Kitchen - $13 for $20 worth of Mexican cuisine for two with Groupon
- The Cheese Course - $15 for $25 worth of bistro menu items and drinks for two with Groupon